In this episode of Demystifying College Admissions, I’m interviewing Erik Fisher, the host of “Beyond the To-Do List,” an award-nominated podcast featuring tips from productive people and ultimately sharing how you can also be successful and balance your life. Erik is also the father of an upcoming high school student so he shares how he helps his daughter with productivity through the techniques and strategies he has mastered over the years.
TUNE IN BELOW:
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT IN THIS EPISODE:
- How to prioritize your energy towards what is most pressing
- Time management tips and strategies to level up your productivity
- Systematizing your schedule so that you can optimize your daily tasks
- How to manage your time well by breaking down your work into smaller projects/artificial deadlines as much as possible
- Overcoming the #1 challenge when it comes to implementing these strategies
- The importance of an academic master calendar, similar to that of your extracurriculars (i.e. games/practices)
- Advice for parents who have kids struggling with procrastination
- Controlling what information is coming into your life via social media by assessing its value.
“Sleep is the most important component of this journey, and just in life in general; that’s when we reprogram.”
“Chunk your tasks so that it’s easier for you the day before.”
“In your mind psychologically you’re thinking this is one huge project when, in fact, it’s just a bunch of little projects strung together.”
“That’s the hidden skill of school: is learning how to manage your life.”
“It’s not that simple; it’s a skill they have to learn.”
“More importantly than teaching them how to do stuff, manage their workload, and be able to get it done, is show them that you’re on their team, and you’re there to help.”
“Let them sleep.”
“Research shows lack of sleep can equal almost to the point of being drunk.”
- [PODCAST] Beyond the To-Do List
- [BOOK] Getting Things Done for Teens by David Allen
- [BOOK] Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
If you need support with how to find your passion and get accepted into your dream college, click here to book a strategy session with Julie to assess whether you would be a great fit to work with Julie and our team!
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW ON ITUNES
If you enjoyed the episode, consider subscribing on iTunes! You’ll get exclusive notifications when I upload episodes and if I release any bonus episodes, you’ll be the first to know. Click here to subscribe!
If you leave a review on iTunes, I may also give you a special shoutout–click here to leave a review! Be sure to select “Ratings” and then “Write a Review”, and let me know what you enjoyed the most about this episode or if you have any ideas for a future episode.
I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas! Email your suggestions to email@example.com.